Sunday, April 20, 2014

Raw Blueberry Jam

Raw Blueberry Jam

I LOVE jam and my grandma made the best ever!  Okay okay, hands down... make that ALL grandma's made the best jams.  I have a lot of favorites, but blueberry is number one.

Back when I ate traditional food, especially growing up, I put jam on my waffles, pancakes, crackers, a spoon, my face, etc.  And of course P&J sammies - and lots of it.  The more the better. My P&J's were more like J's.

I've never made traditional jams, but that's okay because I can make my own raw version anytime I want.  This is a simple basic recipe that can be used with other fresh fruits and altered as well, such as add your own sweetener if the fruit is on the tart side or if you have a major sweet tooth. 

It's so fresh and tasty that it will make you want to eat the whole jar!  And guess what?  You can!  Or you can put it on anything you wish.  Ooh and its super tasty on top of nice-cream - guilt-free vegan ice cream made with frozen bananas.  That will be another post, for now let's get to the recipe.

Blueberry Jam
2 Tbs *chia seeds
1/4 cup water
1 cup fresh blueberries
Optional: 1 Tbs (or to taste) agave or sweetener of choice if fruit is tart or you prefer sweeter jam

Add chia and water in a small dish or cup, stir and set aside - this will gel. Put blueberries in food processor and process briefly or until desired texture. I like little bits of fruit in mine so I don't process them entirely smooth. Put the blueberries in a bowl and add the gelled chia.  Stir/wisk to combine well.  This is best when chilled at least 30 minutes or longer as this gives the chia more time to absorb and give more of a jam taste and appearance.

Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 5 days. 

*chia seeds are known as a superfood.  They are gluten-free, a rich source of nutrients and antioxidants.  These tiny little seeds have healthy omega-3 fatty acids, fiber, protein and minerals.  They can absorb 10-12 times their body weight in a short amount of time.  Chia is a dieter's perfect food as it adds bulk and makes your tummy fill fuller longer.  There are numerous health benefits by adding chia to your regular diet and many ways to include it.

Note: the jam and almond butter is on my soft fruit tortillas that I'm using as flat bread, which will be in an upcoming post.

Peace☮
Rocki

1 comment:

  1. There are a lot of ways you can make jam. This is definitely one of those easy-to-make recipes. And I appreciate that you took the time to share it, because blueberry jam is one of my favorites as well! You can bet that I'll be enjoying this recipe, Rocki. All the best!

    Faith Thomas @ The Berry Farm

    ReplyDelete

Kind thanks for your comment! ☮Rocki