Thursday, May 8, 2014

Raw Chocolate Cake with Orange Fudge Icing

Raw Chocolate Cake with Orange Fudge Icing

My gosh... I cannot express enough of how excited I am about my new recipe!  Raw Chocolate Cake with Orange Fudge Icing - yum! 

I wanted more of a cake like dessert rather than brownie.  However, don't think traditional fluffy cake as this is raw and is not like that.  While I typically go light on the nuts, this one I didn't.  But that's okay as I'm sharing this cake with Mark's work so it won't be around long enough for me to eat it entirely by myself.  Not that I would do that (grin).

The cake itself has a pleasant chocolate flavor with a subtle sweetness to it.  I didn't want a sweet cake because of the icing I had in mind.  I wanted a fudge type icing, but with a bit more tickle-the-taste-buds flavor. 

Dehydrating Oranges

Orange.  Yep, that will work.  Orange and chocolate are a delicious combination.  So I made an orange fudge icing.  Just a thin layer of it turned my raw cake into a decadent dessert.

As you can see above I dehydrated some oranges.  Some for snack and some for the cake.  This is entirely optional as it was for garnish only.

Orange Fudge Icing - oh my!

I'm going to get right to the recipe now, but let me just say that Mark REALLY loved my cake!  This is a keeper and will definitely be in my e-book.


Raw Chocolate Cake with Orange Fudge Icing
8" springform pan (or pan of choice)

Cake:
1/2 cup cashews
1 1/2 cups hazelnuts

1/2 cup cacao powder
1 tsp cinnamon
2 Tbs coconut oil (liquid)
1 tsp vanilla
1/8 tsp sea salt

1/2 cup hemp heart seeds
1 cup packed medjool dates
4-5 dried figs (soaked approximately 30 minutes and drain)

In a food processor, add in the nuts and process until you have small bits, almost like flour.  Do not over process.

Next, add in the cacao, cinnamon, coconut oil, vanilla and sea salt.  Process just until combined.  Add in the remaining ingredients and process until well combined and mixture holds together.  Do not over process or it will turn into an entirely different dessert. 

Put cake mixture into an 8" springform pan and press down firmly.  Put pan, uncovered, in the fridge for at least 60 minutes.

Orange Fudge Icing
this makes more than you need, unless you want a thicker icing

1/2 cup agave
1/2 cup cacao powder
1/4 cup coconut oil (liquid)
1/2 tsp orange extract
pinch of sea salt

Wisk all ingredients in a small bowl until smooth - it will start to thicken up a little bit at this point, but will be pourable.  Pour desired amount onto cake and spread to cover all areas.  Put iced cake back into the fridge for at least 90 minutes or longer for icing to set. 

Optional: before serving top with orange zest and dehydrated orange slices.  Store in fridge for up to 5 days - if it lasts that long.

Peace☮
Rocki

No comments:

Post a Comment

Kind thanks for your comment! ☮Rocki