Thursday, May 1, 2014

Raw Pizza and Flatbread - Spinach Basil with Vegan Cheese

Raw Vegan Pizza

Raw pizza.  Oh yes.  And we can eat it anytime we want without the guilt.

This is another variation of my raw vegan pizza crust.  I was in a spinach and basil kind of mood, so I took the hint and into the garden I went (kitchen).

Raw Vegan Spinach Basil Pizza Crust and Flatbread

Besides the fresh basil plant that I have in the kitchen, the house smelled like basil throughout while the crust was in the dehydrator.  My oh my, was my tummy rumbling! 

I decided to make a smaller pizza than usual as I wanted a flat bread for sammies as well.  That's what is on the bottom tray.  Same recipe, but two different yummies.

Veggie Pizza on Raw Spinach Basil Crust

I wanted different toppings to go along with my spinach basil crust. Something bright and colorful - and of course tasty.  So while the crust was in the dehydrator, I made a simple orange bell pepper hemp cheese spread.  Perfect.

Then I opened the fridge and just started pulling out veggies.  I thought it would be fun to have something resemble stringy cheese - like when you bite into a pizza, you have a string of "cheese" from your mouth to the pizza.  Carrots were my choice for this and I used a peeler for it.  The rest of the veggies I thinly sliced, except for the beet root.  I used a small flower cookie cutter.  Every raw vegan pizza needs pretty purple flowers.

Before I go onto the recipe, I have to say that the carrot "cheese" truly worked!  Mark took his first big bite and stringy "cheese" went from his mouth to the pizza in his hand.  We both smiled.  "Cheesy" smiles of course.

Raw Pizza and Flatbread - Spinach Basil

3/4 cup flax meal
1/2 cup flax seeds
1/2 cup hemp heart seeds
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 Tbs phyllium husk
1/8 tsp sea salt

Combine all ingredients in large bowl and set aside.

1/2 cup sundried tomatoes - soaked in 1 1/2 cups water for approximately 30 minutes.  Drain and reserve liquid for next step.
2 large tomatoes - roughly chopped (just about 2 cups)
1/2 large yellow bell pepper - roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic - minced or diced small
1/2 cup onion - roughly chopped
pinch of sea salt

In food processor, process until well combined.  Leave in processor and add in:

2 handfuls baby spinach
small handful basil

Continue processing until well combined. 

Add 1 cup of the reserved soak water to the dry mix bowl and stir well.  This will be thick.  Stir in the wet mixture.  If it seems too thick to spread, add some more soak water a little at a time. 

Spoon the  mixture onto two lined dehydrator trays.  You can either make 2 pizzas or flatbread or one of each.  With your clean hands or spatula, form into shape of choice.  You don't want it too thin as it will shrink up a bit in the dehydrator.  Also, the thicker it is the longer dehydrator time.

Put into the dehydrator at 145° F for 1 hour only then turn down to 115° F for another 5-7 hours or until done.  Total time will vary due to location, weather, dehydrator, wetness, thickness, etc.  When the top is dry to touch, transfer it to a mesh tray - put a mesh sheet on top of the crust/bread, flip it over and remove it from the lined sheet by slowly peeling it off.  Put it back in the dehydrator until done.  I typically rotate the tray around, but is not necessary.  The small pizza crust took a total of 6 hours this time and the large flatbread about 7 1/2.

Top the pizza with your favorite toppings and enjoy!  For the flatbread, cut it into desired sizes.  Store in sealed container on counter for 1-2 days or in fridge for 4-5 days.  Can be stored in freezer for longer storage.

Note: you can also dehydrate longer for a cracker instead of bread.

Raw Flat Bread and Vegan Cheese Spread

Orange Bell Pepper Hemp Cheese Spread
this makes more than you need for the pizza, but is versatile like any other cheese spread

1 orange bell pepper
1 cup hemp heart seeds
3 Tbs nutritional yeast
juice of half a lemon
pinch of sea salt

In blender, blend all ingredients until smooth and creamy.  This makes a thick cheese spread.  If you want a thinner cheese, add a little water at a time and blend. 

Store in sealed container in fridge for up to 4 days.

Peace☮
Rocki

2 comments:

  1. As I said on IG this is so beautiful I'm speechless when I look at it.
    The crust is a bit too high in fat the way I eat at the present time, so I was thinking of replacing the flax meal with some homemade sprouted buckwheat flour!! I hope it'll work! I really want to make this!!
    Peace & Raw Health,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much, I truly appreciate that! Flax is a nutrient rich food that is very high in fiber and has good healthy omega-3 essential fatty acids - a wonderful food, especially for those who are watching their weight. But we all have different diets :) I keep my raw food low in fat and flax is my replacement for nuts as I don't eat very many of them. Hope the buckwheat flour works! Let me know how it goes :)

    Rocki

    ReplyDelete

Kind thanks for your comment! ☮Rocki